Monday 29 November 2010

Honesty....

I've always admired the work of Ann Blockley and was particularly inspired by her painting of Honesty. I've never got round to growing them and couldn't get hold of any inspiring photos.

Thanks to my friend Joanna who remembered this and bought some with her when she came to visit last. They are very delicate but had survived the journey from Holland, safely tucked away in a tub.

 


We had so much fun painting these, and being able to paint them from life was fantastic. 
We both did a few paintings, trying out different colours and arrangements...

Watercolour is wonderful for this type of subject. Partly left to it's own devices, the water & pigment produced some interesting and wonderful effects making these a real joy to paint.





I wasn't too sure of this one when I finished it, but after letting it sit for a while I decided to mount and frame it.

I chose a natural wood frame rather than my usual preferred choice of white. It really made such a difference to the finished look and set the painting of well..

It's now one of my favourites and was included in my recent exhibition....

10 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

Stephie, the "Honesty" is beautiful and elegant. Truly, watercolor is THE medium for expressing such delicacy.

Ann Buckner said...

Beautiful, Stephie. I love the look of simplicity in your work.

Stephie Butler said...

Thanks so much Kathryn, this is one of 2 I painted and hung. I could have sat and painted these all day, experimenting on these really worked so well.

Stephie Butler said...

Thanks Ann...You always leave such lovely comments, and I always always appreciate them.....

Dhiraj Deka (D.D) said...

Stephie, it's so simple but so nicely composed.

Pat said...

What a beautiful piece!
The wooden frame compliments is beautifully, enabling the whole to sing! xx

norapaints@blogspot.com said...

I have always loved these plants Stephie. You have done them proud.

Stephie Butler said...

Thanks so much D.D.

Stephie Butler said...

Pat..many thanks to you..Very much appreciated

Stephie Butler said...

Thanks so much Nora. I hope to remember to plant some for next year..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails