Monday 16 June 2014

The joy of teaching . . .

There seems to have been so much going on lately to keep me from remembering to update my blog, so it may take me a while to catch up with it all.

My demo painting "Eyes of Blue"
Among other thing I have been teaching, which is something i'm trying to do more of . One of the many friends I've met online over the years is very talented lady, Pat Elliott. Not only is Pat an Author, an Artist, but an amazing healer as well. I had known Pat for quite some time and recently started having Reflexology treatment from her, this I can highly recommend, hands that heal don't come close to describing what Pat has done for me. If you live in the south of the UK, look her up, you won't be disappointed.

Back to the teaching day. Pat wanted a days tuition on how to paint portraits in Watercolour, so off I went and spent the most wonderful day with her. The sun was shining and as it turned out to be one of the hottest days of the year, we painted all day in her summerhouse.

I started the demo using a ref photo from the Wetcanvas photo library. Painting a little at a time showing Pat various techniques that I use, along with encouraging her to include part of herself in her painting. This is a little difficult to do at first when learning to paint in a different style, but does come when you learn to relax, play and take chances.

I was amazed how quickly Pat picked things up and her eagerness to learn was inspiring to me . What she achieved at the end of the day was outstanding, especially when taking into account, the ref she used was a very small snap shot.

This is Pat's painting as it stood at the end of the day. Isn't it amazing. So much more than a portrait painting, the emotions captured here are uplifting.
Pat's painting from the tuition day. @Pat Elliot  
 It was wonderful to read that Pat had kept up the hard work soon after I left and carried on playing and practicing the techniques, combining her already vast knowledge. This was a painting she produced on her own, developing the composition herself as she was already a much practiced artist. It was great to see her post a comparison to a much earlier painting, something we should all do with our own work every so often.

It gives me such a thrill to know i've helped in any way. When seeing a student paint with eagerness and enjoyment, it gives me added inspiration in my own work.
Archie ©Pat Elliot - 
Pat's previous painting @Pat Elliot 
The most important thing I can advise anyone learning is to play. Not everything will turn out as wanted, just take the bits you liked and carry them on to the next painting. It is the only way to move forward.




2 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

Love the story, Stephie. I know Pat through blogging as well, and I am so happy to read of the two of you working together!
Kathryn

Amelia said...

Aw Stephie if only you can teach me a little of what Pat accomplished! So looking forward to your visit!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails