Sunday 5 December 2010

Louis....


Louis

Pure Watercolour
Arches 140lb
W/N Paints
Original…Available

 This was a new painting done for my recent Solo Exhibition..

*****

I’ve been eager to paint some jazzy stuff for a long while, but it’s so hard to get free reference photos…and was inspired again after being fortunate to have recently gone to a workshop with Trevor Waugh. He is an amazingly talented artist, a wonderful person, and one of the best teachers I have come across.

My friend and I stayed for coffee and a chat one evening, and were fortunate to see his new collection, and wow were they stunning. They were all based on the theme of Jazz, and we sat there in awe of them and his talent. All his work is painted without the use of a preliminary sketch which he teaches and encourages in his workshops. But don't be put off by that, it's a lot easier than it sounds... If you ever get the chance to take a workshop, or go to one of his exhibitions, I urge you, don't miss out, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

I thoroughly enjoyed painting this and am now working on some new ideas…We as artists all see where we could either change or express more in our work, and this has given me so many new ideas and eagerness to experiment on more work.

I also decided to stay away from my usual choice of white frame son this one too, it jsut didn't do anything for it. I mounted it in a double black & white mount, then chose a natural wood frame as I did with the honesty paintings. This is a photo of it on display at the Exhibition.

I had a terrible job getting a decent photograph of this one, so resorted to scanning it. The colours are almost right, but it does show a touch more grainy here than it does in real life.

11 comments:

Crystal Cook said...

That's so beautiful Stephie. Such personality and character! :)

Stephie Butler said...

Thanks so much crystal..I just can't stay away from portrait painting, and am finding I want to experiment more with each one..it certainly is addictive..

Ann Buckner said...

Such a seemingly simplistic look but I know it is much harder to achieve that look than one would think. Beautifully painted, Stephie.

Pat said...

Beautiful rendition of the great Satchmo! zz

Krista Hasson said...

Stephie this is a wonderful portrait such expressive brush strokes and use of color... Bravo
and congratulations for having a great solo show, it is well deserved

Sandra Busby said...

I love the way you use colour in your portraits. It is unique and so beautiful!

Stephie Butler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephie Butler said...

Thanks Ann...I did struggle with the skin tones after painting so many young ones...but it's all a learning curve...

Stephie Butler said...

Thank you Pat.. Very much appreciate your comment.

Stephie Butler said...

Thank you so much Krista.....It was a wonderful experience, and one I shall never forget....

Stephie Butler said...

Thank you so much Sandra..I think as you progress in any subject you look for that something different to achieve. Trying out and experimenting is fun and helps us to move forward....even if some do end up in the bin. lol

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails