Sunday 21 February 2010

Drawing towards Portraits...

.I am really hooked and love to paint portraits, especially those of children. When not having enough time to paint, I will find time to draw, and constantly have my pencils to hand. I have found it gives me a better understanding of the features to do this prior to painting a larger piece, especially if I am concentrating on getting a likeness and have learnt so much. I have also find I am enjoying the art of drawing again, something I haven't done enough of for a long time... These are all studies of my grandson Isi, I am so lucky to have 2 beautiful models to hand, and of course makes it even more enjoyable.

As I like to work in a looser style when painting, doing these studies helps me to see where the shapes and tones are before going onto the painting, what to put in, and what to leave out..

6 comments:

Melissa Fischer said...

Wonderful sketches of his eyes, Stephie! I completely agree with you about the importance of practice sketching to get a feel for your subject. You draw beautifully!

Anonymous said...

Muy bien , Felicidades...
Un abrazo

Stephie Butler said...

Thank you so much Melissa...I'm thoroughly enjoying drawing again and learning so much by doing it. I'm also working on a graphite portrait as well...

Stephie Butler said...

Many thanks Isabel for stopping by and leaving a comment, it's really appreciated...

JANE MINTER said...

i'm very happy to award you stephie with a Sunshine Award :).... you can to see the list of the other recipients on my blog.

these are wonderful pencil sketches

jane

Stephie Butler said...

Jane.....Thank you so much....Sorry I'm late in replying..I'll be along later after art class to see your blog.

Thanks again, it's really appreciated..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails