Tuesday 20 December 2011

Here Comes Trouble in oils....cont.

I hadn't realised it was so long since I updated my blog. I've been really busy for the last few months with various projects, but I have been putting work on my FB Art page  completely forgetting to update here as well.

This is one I am continually working on while learning at the same time. We are very fortunate at our Art Club Ilford Art Society, where we have an amazing teacher Mark Charalambou, who has been with the societys for over 25 years. Mark trained at St. Martin's School of Art and is a successful professional painter in his own right. Mark gained his Post Graduate Art teacher's Certificate from the Institute of Education at the University of London. He tailors tuition to each individual Member due to our wide range in abilities.He has taught me so much over the past year, especially painting portraits in oils, which is why this painting continues to change.

    
   I've added more and different colours to her chin and lower face. This was to build on her character. Zahrah is so full of energy and trouble in a cute lovable way, and who doesn't stay clean for longer than 5 mins, far from a sweet little miss perfect  which she would have looked like had I painted lovely smooth skin. I just need to be careful not to over do this though. It was hard getting a decent photo of this so it is showing a little grainy.


     I still need to close the gap between the mouth and nose, i've aged her a bit too much here. The beauty of oils is of course that we can keep changing our work, having said that, it doesn't hold the same joy and unpredictability of painting with watercolours does, not for me anyway.


 


The likeness gets closer with each painting session, along with my own progress on mixing colours. I have found this so different to working in watercolour and a real learning curve, and one wich i’m really enjoying. 




The previous stages, started with a basic outline, then placing in some tones with various skin colours.






11 comments:

jyothisethu said...

but this is a beautiful work...

Studio at the Farm said...

Stephie, Miss Zarah is impish and adorable, beautifully painted!!!

Ann Buckner said...

I'm enjoying your work with oils, Stephie. No matter the medium, your ability to bring beauty is amazing.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and your family. Hope it brings you many blessings.

witte's end studio said...

this is really nice. i am enjoying watching this develop. doubly so because i know nothing about oil technique. i am struck how your style with watercolor carries over to the oils. i think i would recognize your work irrespective of the medium. my best to you and your family for christmas and the new year, stephie.

mollie jones said...

Gorgeous, Stephie...your little GD is a perfect model...love her sassyness...and you've really captured it perfectly.

Stephie Butler said...

Thank you so much Sethu....

Stephie Butler said...

Thanks Kathryn...I'm sure my DIL wouldn't describe Zahrah as impish at the moment lol...but she certainly is adorable...

Stephie Butler said...

Ann....Thank you so much, and for all your support... Hope you had a great Xmas too.......

Stephie Butler said...

Bob....Where have you been hiding, have missed you on the forum..

Thank you so much for your lovely comment.. It's really great to know I have a style that is now recognised as mine, that means a lot...

P.S. i don't know a lot about oils either...there's nothing so inspiring as to try other mediums...

Hope your Xmas was a good one too....All the best for 2012

Stephie Butler said...

Hi Mollie...thanks so much for dropping by.... I love that word "sassyness" I'll have to tell Kay that, describes her really well...

Nora MacPhail said...

It's wonderful to see the stages that an artist goes through. Thanks for sharing your process.
Have a fun creative weekend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails