Tuesday 6 September 2011

Elmo & Suki......

I've so much to catch up on here after spending a wonderful two weeks with my dear friend Joanna in Holland. I will post more on that later, but though I ought to post what i've been up to in order, if I can remember. So to start with:

These are two commissioned paintings of cats by a gentleman for his mothers birthday.  The cats belong to his mother and the paintings were to be a surprise for her birthday, which is the reason I have been unable to share them openly on-line until now. But I've just had word that he has given her the paintings, how much she loved them, and how I had captured their personalities.


Elmo

  It's always a worry when painting pets or portraits, not only that you capture the likeness, but also the spirit and personality. 

To do this I asked to know a little about them before starting my drawing and paintings. This really does help so much, making painting them much more enjoyable and I believe shows in the end result.

  Elmo is quite old and has unfortunately lost most of his teeth, because of this his tongue is out almost all of the time and he dribbles rather badly. I decided to keep the tongue as it was in the photos, after all that his him, it's how his owner sees him daily.....





Suki
This is Suki, she is the sister of Elmo and is about 14 years old. Just looking at the photos I was given of her gave me the impression she rules like the queen of the house.....

12 comments:

Sharon Williamson said...

Aww, they're gorgeous! I especially like the Elmo pose. I do enjoy your eye for composition - these two balance each other very nicely in terms of white space. I bet they look great hung together.

norapaints@blogspot.com said...

Love both of them Stephie. Glad to hear you enjoyed your time with Joanna.

maría josé said...

Son preciosos! Felicidades !

Cindi said...

thought id stop by and surprise you and say hi!!! wonderful paintings.. you are the bestest!!
glad you and joanna had a blast.. wanted also to give you a special hug, for special friend..
luv ya, cindi

mollie jones said...

Stephie...as one cat lover to the very obvious artist cat lover...these portraits are marvelous. I know that your client's mother was in tears when she received them. I love your work.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

They really look great. It is always hard when doing a picture of older animals as to how to finish them. As artists we can give them new life.

Stephie Butler said...

Thanks Sharon...The photo was taken by the client so made it easier...

Stephie Butler said...

Thanks so much Nora....Good to see you ..How are you

Stephie Butler said...

Thank you so much Maria

Stephie Butler said...

Cindi.....Thanks so much, you know it means a lot.Sorry i'm so late getting back here, always seems to be the case lately, can't keep up with everything... Special hugs back to you too

Stephie Butler said...

Thanks Mollie...always appreciate your comments.

Stephie Butler said...

Thanks Wendy, so true as well...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails