Tuesday 5 April 2011

Lion Country....


Still hooked on Africa at the moment, amongst other things, must be something to do with the yearning to go back there...

.... After doing an initial sketch of this Lion I went onto a larger version on a half sheet.

wetting some areas then dropping in some colour for an initial wash, then some extra touches of colour in a few areas as the under wash was drying......

I decided not to sketch this one out as I paint too much within the lines when I do...
The problems that arise are when you don't get the 2nd eye in the right place, which is why he hasn't got one at the moment lol. I had to wash it away as it just wasn’t looking right...It will be added later though....

I'm letting this sit for a little while though as I have some ideas for it and need to think on if it will work or not....

6 comments:

Sadami said...

Dear Stephie,
Another lovely work! Wash is elegnat.
I've just finished up the cartoon of animals...but "bats!" Ahaha, it will soon come up for my blog:). Enjoy painting.
Best wishes, Sadami

Studio at the Farm said...

Stephie, I'm sure there are some one-eyed lions out there. So far, he's looking very, very good, and you amaze me that you paint without sketching!!!

Jane said...

Looking so good till now, wonderful the way you start your work.

Unknown said...

I always wondered why some artists paint one-eyed subjects.... now I know, they just aren't skilled enough to put the second eye in the right place!

Looking wonderful so far, I already see the start of a second lion on the right.

Carlos León Salazar said...

Hello Stephie: I think this work is outstanding.

Musa Balan Watercolor said...

Perfect works, congrats!..
Waiting for you in my blog, regards...
http://musabalan.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails